Treat Excessive Sweating With miraDry® (Updated 2023)

Dermatology Associates of Rochester

Sweating is natural, and our bodies do it to regulate our internal temperature when we’re too hot. Hooray for body chemistry, but sweat stinks! The appearance and odor that sweat brings are less than desirable, and we are all sufferers.

Excessive underarm sweating can also be embarrassing and costly if you have to constantly replace stained dress shirts or dresses.

Man with arm around woman\'s waist and other arm raised

To avoid sweating and odor, we apply deodorant or antiperspirant each morning. These types of unnatural chemicals temporarily disable the sweat glands but are often not effective if you suffer from hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating).

There is light at the end of the tunnel—it’s called miraDry®, and we offer it at our Rochester practice. We are talking about a lasting, non-invasive solution that eliminates the underarm sweat glands entirely using heat energy. This approach is permanent and much more natural than antiperspirants.

What Causes Excessive Sweating?

There are 2 types of hyperhidrosis: primary and secondary. People with primary hyperhidrosis often inherit the condition from one of their parents. The condition typically worsens after reaching puberty, especially for women. Secondary hyperhidrosis may be caused by an underlying condition, which is why it’s important to discuss your excessive sweating with a physician.

Is miraDry Right for You?

Some key indicators that this treatment might be right for you are if you:

  • Apply antiperspirant or deodorant more than once a day
  • Worry someone will see sweat stains
  • Worry that your underarm sweat stains make a negative impression
  • Dress to hide sweat, avoiding certain colors or fabrics
  • Have social anxiety because of underarm sweat
  • Have clothes you wish you could wear, but know that your sweat will be noticeable

If you can relate to those feelings about sweat and odor, consider the miraDry treatment. Social situations will no longer be uncomfortable, you’ll have the freedom to dress however you like, and you won’t have to worry about people noticing odor.

Is miraDry Safe?

If you’re wondering about the safety of eliminating sweat glands, don’t worry; your body will still be able to regulate its internal temps after miraDry treatment. Of all the sweat glands in our bodies, only a small percentage are in our underarms, but that location seems to cause the most issues.

The miraDry procedure takes about 2 hours. It usually takes just a few treatment sessions to get the desired results. Want to learn more about what the miraDry treatment is like? Read about Katie’s miraDry treatment and how she felt for the few days following the procedure.

Are there other options for excessive sweating?

According to the American Academy of Dermatology, about 3% of Americans have diagnosable excessive sweating, called hyperhidrosis. But the other 97% of us still experience underarm sweating and odor, sometimes so extreme that it affects our daily lives. While miraDry is often a preferred treatment to address the problem of excessive underarm sweating, BOTOX® injections can temporarily minimize excessive sweating, as well.

For more information on getting rid of your sweat and odor and the miraDry treatment, request your consultation using the online form or call us at (585) 272-0700. It’s important to speak with our professional providers during a scheduled consultation before treatment.

Leave a Reply

Fields marked with * are required.